Even as it enters its second decade, LinkedIn remains one of the most popular sites not only for job hunting and recruitment but also for professional social networking. When it comes to building your personal brand and promoting yourself, having a killer LinkedIn profile and summary is crucial. In this article, we'll explore five simple yet effective ways to create a LinkedIn summary that not only stands out but also outranks your competition.
1. Focus on Accomplishments: Highlight Your Unique Value Proposition
To capture the attention of potential employers or recruiters, it's essential to focus on your key accomplishments and demonstrate your unique value proposition. Rather than simply stating your job title and responsibilities, showcase your achievements in a compelling way. For example, instead of saying "I'm a graphic designer who has built 20 websites," try something like "I'm a graphic artist with extensive experience in print and digital marketing. I've helped (x) brands with major campaigns such as..." By highlighting specific campaigns and their outcomes, you provide tangible evidence of your skills and expertise.
Take inspiration from Claudio Eduardo Vieira, a freelance Creative Director, who combines his accomplishments with personality and passion in his summary. He starts by mentioning his "award-winning" status and then adds a touch of creativity and humor. Don't forget to link your portfolio or website to showcase your work and include testimonials for added credibility.
2. Get Personal: Tell a Story That Engages and Intrigues
To make your LinkedIn summary even more captivating, consider incorporating an interesting personal statement or anecdote that showcases your storytelling or writing skills. This approach works exceptionally well in industries focused on creativity or narrative. Sharing a personal story allows potential connections to get to know you on a deeper level and creates a natural intrigue.
Karen Abbate's LinkedIn profile provides an excellent example of this approach. She shares the story of her career beginnings and her husband's cancer diagnosis, which ignited her passion for pharma advertising. By intertwining personal and professional aspects, Karen creates an emotional connection with the reader.
3. Keep it Simple: Highlight the Basics and Core Competencies
When in doubt, simplicity can be highly effective. Start your LinkedIn summary by focusing on the basics and core competencies relevant to your target audience. Tailor your wording according to the professionals you aim to attract. For example, if you're targeting a more technically-minded audience, keep the content concise, straightforward, and include relevant numbers.
Quiana Cooper-Jarrett, a data analyst and social researcher, presents a simple yet impactful summary. She mentions her experience in digital marketing, current role as a lead content strategist, and includes a list of key skills. Remember to strike a balance between simplicity and showcasing your unique strengths.
4. Try a Blended Approach: Combine Accomplishments and Personal Storytelling
For those who want to create a LinkedIn summary that showcases both accomplishments and personal storytelling, a blended approach can be highly effective. Start with a few attention-grabbing accomplishments and then dive into a compelling personal story.
Magdalena Wozniczka-Mleczko, specializing in IT recruitment for global companies, demonstrates this approach. She emphasizes her industry expertise and passion for her work, followed by a list of her skills and talents.
5. Use Keywords Strategically: Optimize for Search Visibility
To outrank your competition on LinkedIn, strategic use of keywords is essential. Research and identify the terms and phrases commonly used in your industry or profession. Incorporate these keywords naturally into your summary to increase search visibility and attract the right audience.
Remember to use relevant keywords in the skills and endorsements sections as well. This powerful SEO strategy ensures your profile is optimized for search engines and increases your chances of appearing in relevant search results.
LinkedIn Hacks: Enhance Your Profile for Success
To further elevate your LinkedIn presence and increase your chances of success, consider the following tips:
- Be Creative with Your Title: Craft an eye-catching title that sets you apart from the competition. Highlight your unique skills and talents, going beyond generic job titles.
- Keep Details Up-To-Date: Regularly update your LinkedIn profile, ensuring that your current position, education, and location are accurate. Attention to detail enhances your professional image.
- Treat LinkedIn as Social Media: LinkedIn is not just a professional network; it's also a social platform. Engage with your connections by posting relevant and valuable content regularly. Utilize eye-catching images and compelling titles to generate more traffic.
- Go Premium: Consider LinkedIn Premium for advanced networking and job searching capabilities. Take advantage of features such as InMail for direct communication with recruiters, viewing profile visitors, and accessing LinkedIn Learning courses to enhance your skills.
- Include Recommendations & Endorsements: Request recommendations from colleagues, managers, or clients to strengthen your profile. Endorse others for their skills, increasing the likelihood of them endorsing you in return.
In conclusion, your LinkedIn summary plays a crucial role in attracting the right opportunities and outshining your competition. By implementing these five simple strategies and leveraging LinkedIn's features effectively, you can create a summary that captivates, engages, and propels your professional success.